By Michael W. Lucas
FreeBSD—the robust, versatile, and unfastened Unix-like working system—is the popular server for lots of companies. however it could be even trickier to take advantage of than both Unix or Linux, and tougher nonetheless to master.
Absolute FreeBSD, second Edition is the entire advisor to FreeBSD, written by way of FreeBSD committer Michael W. Lucas. Lucas considers this thoroughly revised and rewritten moment variation of his landmark paintings to be his most sensible paintings ever; a real manufactured from his love for FreeBSD and the aid of the FreeBSD group. Absolute FreeBSD, second Edition covers install, networking, safeguard, community companies, approach functionality, kernel tweaking, filesystems, SMP, upgrading, crash debugging, and masses extra, together with insurance of the way to:
* Use complicated safety features like packet filtering, digital machines, and host-based intrusion detection
* construct customized dwell FreeBSD CDs and bootable flash
* deal with community companies and filesystems
* Use DNS and organize e mail, IMAP, internet, and FTP companies for either servers and clients
* computer screen your approach with performance-testing and troubleshooting tools
* Run diskless systems
* deal with schedulers, remap shared libraries, and optimize your method to your and your workload
* construct customized community home equipment with embedded FreeBSD
* enforce redundant disks, even with no particular hardware
* combine FreeBSD-specific SNMP into your community administration system.
Whether you're simply getting began with FreeBSD or you've been utilizing it for years, you'll locate this publication to be the definitive advisor to FreeBSD that you've been ready for.
Read Online or Download Absolute FreeBSD: The Complete Guide to FreeBSD (2nd Edition) PDF
Similar unix books
* thoroughly up to date with 1000s of recent examples! * the one Linux reference with examples for each command * All-new chapters at the Apache internet server, tc shell, and Emacs editor * equipped via activity, so that you can locate it quickly! the sensible, convenient table reference for each Linux user-now thoroughly up to date!
1. 1. Noch ein Buch über UNIX! Wo doch bereits so viele geschrieben worden sind - von der kurzen Einführung bis hin zum umfassenden Kompendium. Es gibt eine große Zahl spezieller UNIX-Themen, die eigene Bücher wert sind. Viele davon sind ebenfalls schon geschrieben. used to be ist additionally das Besondere an dem vorliegenden Buch "UNIX .
As the UNIX process was once initially designed by means of programmers to be used through different programmers, it used to be utilized in an atmosphere of open cooperation the place safety was once of minimum challenge. Now that its use has unfold to universities, companies, and govt, the exclusive and delicate nature of the knowledge kept on UNIX platforms has made the safety of those structures of paramount significance.
This revised advisor to Unix networking APIs updates assurance of programming criteria and debugging ideas, and covers working structures together with purple Hat nine, Solaris nine, HP-UX, unfastened BSD four. 8/5. zero, AIX five. x and Mac OS X.
- Sams Teach Yourself Red Hat Linux Fedora in 24 Hours
- Solaris 7 Administrator Certification Training Guide: Part I and Part II
- Pro Bash Programming: Scripting the GNU/Linux Shell (2nd Edition)
- Unix and Linux: Visual QuickStart Guide (5th Edition)
Additional info for Absolute FreeBSD: The Complete Guide to FreeBSD (2nd Edition)
Of the 50 or so articles available, some are kept only for historical reasons (such as the road map to releasing FreeBSD version 5), while others discuss the subtleties of specific parts of the system such as serial ports or CVSup. A few are old enough that they’re retained for only a handful of users who are still stuck with 20th-century systems. These documents are very formal, and they require preparation. As such, they always lag a bit behind the real world. When a new feature is first rolled out, the appropriate Handbook entry might not appear for weeks or months.
If you’re a frequent buyer of computer books, please feel free to insert all that usual crud about “read a chapter at a time for best learning” and so on. I’m not going to coddle you—if you picked up this book, you either have two brain cells to rub together or you’re visiting someone who does. ) What Must You Know? This book is aimed at the new Unix administrator. Two decades ago, the average Unix administrator had kernel programming experience and was working on his master’s degree in computer science.
This assumes that you’re using the default BSD pager, more(1). If you’re using a different pager, use that pager’s syntax. Of course, if you know so much about Unix that you’ve already set your preferred default pager, you’ve probably skipped this part of the book entirely. Finding Man Pages New users often say that they’d be happy to read the man pages, if they could find the right one. You can perform basic keyword searches on the man pages with apropos(1) and whatis(1). apropos(1) searches for any man page name or description that includes the word you specify.